*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
Did anyone ever say that cake for breakfast is wrong? Because I don’t think that has been proved yet. Dessert for breakfast, or even before dinner is the way to go. These apple blueberry cupcakes mimic a breakfast muffin with hint of nutmeg and topped with a tart lemon glaze will make it seem like you had a healthy breakfast with all of that fruit but it’s actually a cupcake! I call that a win-win!
Now these apple blueberry cupcakes are made with nutmeg. If you aren’t a fan of nutmeg than that’s ok! Just replace it with some cinnamon and it will still be just as good! Don’t like apples? Try pears! Either way these cupcakes will be so good!
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. One thing that I absolutely love is my cake tester! It’s such a great tool to have in your kitchen where you don’t have use so many toothpicks or guess to tell if your cake is done. What I love about these things is that they come with a cute design on top and they can go in the dishwasher!
apple blueberry cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 small apple cored and thinly sliced
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pans with liners. in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg and salt and mix until incorporated. in another bowl, combine the oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and whisk together. pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined. fold in the blueberries and then scoop the batter in the cupcake pan. top with a few slices of the apple and add a few more blueberries if you'd like. sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar on top. bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let the cake cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- combine the powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. add in water a teaspoon at a time until it becomes thick but a bit runny consistency forms. glaze the cupcakes.