*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
Birthday cake ice cream sandwiches. May I need say more? I think not. These ice cream sandwiches are so good by the way. The ice cream is a basic vanilla base with some birthday cake extract mixed in. But what makes it fun, is the swirls of pink buttercream in it and the French macaron cookies holding it all together.
The buttercream gives it that actual birthday cake feel and adds in a little texture and flavor. While the French macaron cookies gives it more of a fancy twist, with the chewy yet delicate cookie, it makes this ice cream sandwich complete. Go here to get the French macaron recipe!
Change it up!
Not wanting to go all fancy with the French macarons? Don’t worry about it, those little cookies may be delicious but they can be a handful to make with the outcome being 50/50 success.
Instead use whatever cookie you’d like! Make some sugar coated sugar cookies and use those! Or just go to the grocery store and get those addicting soft frosted cookies in the bakery and use those instead of swirling buttercream in the actual ice cream. Makes it a little easier for the busy folk! I won’t judge either, because now I’m tempted to do that myself!
Products I recommend
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. I highly suggest the ice cream maker that I listed above. It’s cheaper than others and it does it’s job just like the other’s. It’s also easy to clean and super easy to use!
birthday cake ice cream
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp birthday cake flavor i used amoretti brand
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup buttercream optional
- place the heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt, birthday cake extract, and vanilla into a pot and mix together. put over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. remove from the heat and cover with cling wrap and place the ice cream base into the fridge overnight to cool and to let the flavor increase.
- following the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream machine, turn the base for 20-25 minutes. place the ice cream into a freezer safe container. swirl with the buttercream and top with sprinkles and freeze overnight to firm up.
- take your choice of cookies and take a scoop of the birthday cake ice cream and place on top. add another cookie and freeze until ready to serve.