*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
I’ve been wanting to make a chocolate sandwich cookies that resembles the penguin biscuits that I fell in love with during my time in England. It’s a chocolate sandwich cookie that is filled with a chocolate frosting and coated in chocolate. It’s chocolate cookie heaven basically.
Now these chocolate sandwich cookies are not as sweet as the packaged ones. If you like it more sweet you can always add in a little more cocoa powder to the buttercream. I didn’t even have a penguin cookie cutter to make these bad boys even better. So instead I used this cute pig cookie cutter and these cookies turned out just absolutely adorable!
Now you don’t have to use the cute pig cookie cutter. Use whatever cookie cutter you want! You don’t have to use chocolate buttercream either. Certainly use a vanilla buttercream or even a caramel buttercream would be so good in these cookies! Don’t want to coat them in dark chocolate? You can use white if you want. You could even have fun with it and use a colored candy coating and add sprinkles on top!
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. One of my favorite things that I have many of are the BlueQ oven mitts. They aren’t just really funny and a great statement piece for your kitchen, but they are great quality too!
chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-3 tbsp water
- chocolate for coating
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. in a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt; with a paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients until combined. add in the butter, vanilla, and water and mix until the dough starts to come together. wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. roll out the dough and using a cookie cutter, cut out multiple shapes. place on a lined sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes. let cool.
- combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- frost half of the cookies with the buttercream and then sandwich with the remaining half of cookies. place into the freezer to firm, about 15 minutes. melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl until melted. take a cookie at a time and dip into the chocolate until the cookie is completely coated and then place onto a sheet pan with parchment. let dry.