*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
This cookie butter cake is lovely in flavor and everyone will absolutely love it! It’s made with biscoff cookies and a homemade cookie butter filling. The cake layers are soft with lovely bits of cookie pieces spread throughout and the spiced filling makes it all come together with a thin layer of simple buttercream.
If you don’t want to make homemade cookie butter than that is completely ok. You can always go to your local grocery store and buy a small tub of cookie butter that is available and ready to go for you. But I do suggest getting a package of the biscoff cookies too so you can add it into the batter. You can also use the cookies to decorate the cake as well or just enjoy it as a little snack while you make this cookie butter cake too!
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. Whenever I make a cake I will always use 6-inch cake pans. Growing up my mom didn’t like having huge cakes in the fridge because no one would really eat it besides myself. That’s when I came into the habit of making a smaller size layer cake instead which serves 8-10 people.
cookie butter cake
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 biscoff cookies crushed
- 20 biscoff cookies
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter room temp
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cookie butter optional
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line three 6-inch pans with parchment paper. in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt and whisk together. in another bowl, combine the oil, eggs, vanilla, water, and buttermilk and whisk together. pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined. fold in the crushed biscoff cookie pieces. place the batter in the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let the cake cool for 10 minutes then carefully remove them from the pans to continue cooling. wrap in cling wrap until ready to use.
- combine all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the cookies are fine and everything comes together. let sit for an hour so it comes together and thickens.
- place the butter into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. mix until smooth. scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients. mix on slow speed and gradually increase the speed. let mix until fluffy and lighter in color, about 3 minutes. you can add in some cookie butter into the buttercream as well, but this is completely optional!