*this post contains affiliate links. to learn more please read the disclosure.
i love looking at pictures of cake on pinterest and i always come across ones with cool prints on them. i’ve always wondered how they would get prints on them that were so intricate that i had to look it up. what i came across was edible printing.
edible printing is just like having a regular printer but you need special equipment. brand new special equipment! you can’t use an old printer that you already have. it wouldn’t be food safe with all of the chemicals that came from the ink cartridges and can be harmful if consumed.
here is a list of things required for edible printing:
- a compatible printer
- edible ink (food coloring)
- wafer paper (you can get this in different colors as well)
- icing sheets – these are different from wafer paper as they have a paper backing that you peel off before sticking the cake or cookie surface you are planning on decorating. they are also more expensive versus the wafer paper as well.
the first step in getting your own edible printer is to figure out if you want to get a bundle package or to just buy everything separately. i bought mine separately to get a cheaper price, but if you want to get a bundle i suggest going here. this website is super helpful too if you want to go the route of buying everything separately.
i personally went with a canon printer. this printer is great because you put the paper at the top and once it’s printer the image comes out upside, which is what you want. another bonus is that once you have it connected to your computer there is a self cleaning button to get rid of the dried ink before you print. just click on the self clean button and then after it’s done cleaning, print an ink analysis sheet to make sure that none of them are clogged still. if you don’t want this printer, then i suggest finding one that has similar features.
now that you know your options, if you want to buy everything separately, follow these steps.
- go here to find a printer that is compatible with edible ink. you will find it on the right side of the page. this link also helps you find the right ink for the printer model that you have chosen. you just enter in the printer code and it will bring you to a page of the ink that will work with that printer.
- buy your ink from the website in step 1! i also suggest that you get the ink refills and the cleaning solution as well. it’s cheaper than buying the cartridges and then running out just to have to buy them again.
- the printer that you have chosen, look it up on amazon and find the cheapest option available to you.
- before completing your amazon purchase, get the wafer paper too. it is the cheapest option that is the best bang for your buck giving you 100 sheets for $20 or less (the price fluctuates from time to time)! i purchased this a long time ago and still have more than half of it left. definitely worth buying and the best deal you will find.
- if you want to try icing sheets, then i suggest these. i never personally tried them because i prefer the cheaper option of wafer paper, but this was the best deal i could find.
in the next post you will learn about using the edible printer and some helpful tips that i’ve learned when using it.