*disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. to learn more, please go here.
Happy Valentines day… I think. I’m not a fan of this holiday, probably because I’ve never actually got to celebrate it with anyone. At least I’m not the only one who is in the same boat. Am I right? But at least I have this jasmine chocolate cake to love my stomach instead.
This jasmine chocolate cake is actually inspired by someone who I deeply care about and stupidly fell in love with. Oops. Jasmine is his favorite flower and it’s special to him so I wanted to make something that would make him happy. Which is something that makes me happy in turn.
Cake is love.
Now although he may not feel the same way and I’ll never get to celebrate this stupid holiday with him, I’m just glad that I stupidly fell for the idiot no matter how much that it hurts. Like the saying goes, it’s better to have love and lost then never loved at all. Not to mention that time heals all wounds. And cake. Cake heals all wounds too. I love cake.
P.S. He loved it. So I hope that you will love it too!
Products I recommend.
For this cake I recommend buying this jasmine tea to get the most flavor. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store or have the time to wait for an amazon delivery, than I suggest getting this jasmine green tea instead. Enjoy yourself a hot glass of tea while you make this cake too! I add in some honey and lemon in mine and it’s delish!
Jasmine Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup water
- 4 jasmine tea bags
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup of the jasmine tea water
- 5 oz egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 jasmine tea bags optional
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans. place the jasmine tea bags and water into a pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. let sit until cool to let the jasmine tea infuse into the water. measure out 3/4 cup of the jasmine tea and poor over the 1 cup of chocolate and mix until chocolate is melted. set aside.
- in a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and mix together. in another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla,and buttermilk. add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together until fully combined. add in the jasmine tea water and chocolate mixture and mix until incorporated.
- divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the cake pans to continue cooling. wrap in cling wrap until ready to use.
- in the bowl of an electric mixer combine the egg whites and the sugar and place over a pot of boiling water. whisk together until the sugar dissolves. once the sugar is dissolved, place on the mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip on high until a meringue forms and the bottom of the bowl is no longer hot. slowly add in the butter and continue whipping until the mixture comes together and doesn’t look curdled. add in the vanilla and the jasmine tea leaves (removed from the bag) and mix until just combined.