*This post contains affiliate links. Please read disclosure to learn more
This key lime pie ice cream is super addicting. I couldn’t get enough of the creamy ice cream that’s layered with the tangy lime curd and the crunch from the graham crust. It’s the perfect summer treat that every one will enjoy. Add it onto a ice cream cone (waffle cones are the best!) and that will make it absolute heaven! I love this key lime pie ice cream so much and I can’t wait to make it again and devour every last morsel.
The vanilla ice cream is sweet and contrasts perfectly with the key lime curd and balances it out perfectly! Then you get the texture and crunch from the graham crust. Add all three things together and you have one of the best ice creams you will ever have!
Want to try it differently? Make the curd lemon or even strawberry and make it unique to you! It’s super easy to puree some berries or juice a pineapple to make a curd. You don’t even have to add in the graham crust! Make it your own and have fun with it! That’s what baking is about. It’s a science and science means experimenting.
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. I highly recommend starting off with the cuisinart ice cream machine as your first ice cream maker. It’s the cheapest one on amazon and I personally use it and love it! I also suggest getting a reusable ice cream container as well, it’s dishwasher safe and you can use it over and over again!
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
- ice cream machine
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
key lime curd
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup graham crackers crushed
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- pinch salt
- place the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla into a pot and bring to a boil, whisking to make sure the sugar dissolves. place the ice cream base into the fridge overnight to cool and to let the flavor increase.
- following the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream machine, turn the base for 20-25 minutes.
- layer the ice cream with the lime curd and graham crust: ice cream, swirl in some lime curd and the top with a sprinkle of the graham. repeat! freeze until set and then eat all of the yummy ice cream!
key lime curd
- in a small pot, combine the lime juice, lime zest, egg yolks, egg, vanilla, salt and sugar and whisk constantly over medium heat. make sure to continuously whisk to prevent the eggs from curdling. continue whisking until it starts to thicken. remove from the heat and add in the butter. strain through a fine mesh sieve and place cling wrap directly on top of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. place in the fridge until cool.
- mix all of the ingredients together and spread a thin layer onto a sheetpan. bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. let cool.