*disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. to learn more, please go here.
This here is a lovely pink malted strawberry milk cake. Like my favorite childhood drink, strawberry milk, it’s even better in cake form.
It’s the month of love. Is that a thing? Do people call February the month of love? Whatever, that is what I have dubbed this month because everything will be pink, heart shaped and maybe even a tad bit naughty; but what is valentine’s day if there isn’t a touch of naughty in the mix right?
Now I love strawberry milk. I grew up drinking it all of the time whenever I went to visit my grandma. She’d pour me a glass of milk and we would add in some of the strawberry syrup and, oh man. I could go for a glass of that right now. Anyways, this malted strawberry milk cake reminds me of just that. Strawberry milk.
Want to see the cake being made? Go here and check it out!
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. My absolute favorite is the BlueQ oven mitts. I have a collection of them and I love them! They are great quality and it’s nice to have a kitchen item with a sense of humor.
malted strawberry milk cake
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup strawberry milk
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pink food color optional
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1-3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white chocolate i also added in a few pink candy melts for the color
- for the strawberry milk, combine the water and the malted milk powder into a pot and whisk together to remove the clumps. once the clumps are gone, whisk in the condensed milk then finally add in the strawberries. place over medium heat and bring to a boil. lower the heat and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. the milk should become thicker and the strawberries should start to become soft and break down. remove from the heat and let cool. when cool, place the strawberry milk into a blender and blend until smooth. strain through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of the seeds and any clumps then set aside.
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans and set aside. in a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; whisk together. add in the oil, eggs, vanilla and strawberry milk and whisk until fully combined. if desired, add in some pink food coloring to create a more strawberry color to the cake. divide the batter among the cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool and then remove from the pans and wrap in cling-wrap until ready to use.
- put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. start slow and then gradually increase the speed. whip on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- combine the ingredients into a small bowl and microwave in 15 second bursts until melted and fully combined. let cool slightly and then add to the top of the cake that’s been chilled. decorate as desired.