*this post contains affiliate links. please read disclosure to learn more
this is the most fun cake that i’ve made so far. my sister and i love scooby doo. we grew up on it and other old cartoons thanks to our dad. so for her birthday she had requested a cake featuring the scooby gang. and a surprise guest! so i decided to make the mystery machine cake tutorial for you all!
personally i think this cake would’ve been 100% better if it had been decorated with just fondant. my sister hates fondant. so i couldn’t use it to decorate the cake. well except for the two small pieces, she lived with it after complaining for a few minutes. the chocolate did come out very well though after a few trial and errors. it’s not the best looking cake, but it is the most fun. it being scooby doo makes it even better.
here is a list of all the things you will need for this mystery machine cake tutorial.
- candy melts in: light blue, green, white, black, and orange
- these stencils
- wax paper
- ziplock/piping bags
- to make this cake you are going to have to start by making a 4x batch of the chocolate sheet cake, or whatever kind of cake you want. you just want 4 layers made in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- a big batch of your favorite vanilla frosting and tint it a mystery machine blue.
- a type of candy to fill the center of the cake
- scooby snacks graham crackers
- scooby doo fruit snacks
- white fondant (optional)
- once the cakes are cooled, start by filling and stacking the first 3 layers of cake. in the center, cut out a decent sized whole. fill this whole with whatever you like, or use some of my ideas!
- place the last layer of cake on top and do a crumb coat. place the cake into the fridge for about 30 minutes to chill.
- use the stencils i’ve provided to cut the cake to be the exact shape. i used some pins to help keep the stencils in place while i trimmed. if you make a mistake, just use the cake trimmings mixed with frosting (like making a cakepop) and form it into the shape you want.
- once the cake is formed, do another crumb coat and place the cake into the fridge to chill.
- while the cake is chilling, use the other stencils and the candy melts to trace the mystery machine designs to put onto the cake. let dry
- while the chocolate is drying, take the cake and do a final thick coat of frosting on the cake.
- carefully peel the chocolate designs off the wax paper and place onto the designated areas of the cake.
- if you have the artistic ability or a projector then paint the scooby gang on some fondant. do the same thing for the back of the cake with mr. hyde.
- eat and enjoy!