These lightly spiced olive oil pumpkin cupcakes with rosemary buttercream are a refreshing fall treat. Different and delicious, these cupcakes are easy to make with a few simple steps that are filled with flavor.
Pumpkin is a fall staple. You have the pumpkin spice anything, everywhere. So why not take it and make it a little different this year? Like these olive oil pumpkin cupcakes with rosemary buttercream! It’s different but still oh so good, and anyone with hankering of a savory sweet dessert will love these!
What You’ll Need
- Olive oil – To make a cake olive oil based, you only need to replace the vegetable oil with good quality olive oil. The olive oil adds in flavor while adding moisture to the cake.
- Pumpkin puree – A very important ingredient for these cupcakes, I just bought a can of Libby’s pumpkin puree from my local grocery store.
- Rosemary – When making the rosemary buttercream, make sure you get fresh rosemary from the produce section of the grocery store. DO NOT use the dried rosemary in your spice cupboard!!!
How to make these olive oil pumpkin cupcakes
- Combine all of the dry ingredients and sugars into a large bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients together with a whisk.
5-6. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of the dry ingredients and mix together.
7. Using a cookie scoop, portion the batter into the cupcake tin.
How to make rosemary buttercream
It’s incredibly easy to make a simple rosemary buttercream. You just need to make a simple buttercream and then add in some finely chopped rosemary! That’s all there is to it.
- Make a simple buttercream by mixing butter and powdered sugar.
- Remove the rosemary from the stem and finely chop it.
- Add into the buttercream and mix it for a minute to incorporate.
Tips & Tricks
Not sure if you’d like these olive oil pumpkin cupcakes with rosemary buttercream? No worries! You don’t have to use olive oil. It can easily be replaced with regular vegetable or canola oil and just be a simple pumpkin cupcake. Not sure about having rosemary in the frosting and think that it might be a bit too weird? You can just skip it completely and make a cream cheese buttercream instead if you want! Either way it will be a delicious pumpkin cupcake!
Other recipes to try!
Have you made this recipe? Follow me on Instagram and tag me in your photos so I can see your masterpiece! @sugarbyalyx
Want to see more recipes? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when a new recipe is posted!
olive oil pumpkin cupcakes with rosemary buttercream
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary sprigs
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pans with liners. in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and mix until incorporated. in another bowl, combine the olive oil, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin puree and milk and whisk together. pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined. scoop the batter in the cupcake pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let the cake cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. start slow and then gradually increase the speed. whip on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. add in the rosemary.