Jump to Recipe
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read disclosure to learn more.
Since it is December, you can’t go through the holiday’s without having some kind of dessert that contains lots of chocolate with a hint of mint. This is also known as one of my favorite flavor combinations! Chocolate and mint! I could eat chocolate mint ice cream and chocolate bars all day long. And you know it’s bad when you have mint chocolate flavored lip balm and body wash… maybe I have problem? Speaking of problems…. here’s a peppermint white chocolate cake.
I was going through my baking stash just the other day. You would not believe how many bags of chocolate I have. It’s either really embarrassing or a chocolate lovers dream. There is literally 10 bags of unopened chocolate chips and three bags of which were open. Can thank the Ibotta app for all this chocolate. Now I need to think of ways to use it all. But of course, that will be super fun to do with lots more goodies to be eaten! Who could argue with that logic? This is also a sign of all the white chocolate recipes that will be seen throughout the next month or two. Obviously I love white chocolate, commence all the drooling starting with this peppermint white chocolate cake.
This cake is super sweet with a hint of mint to it. Mint extract can be so hard to work with because if you add too much, it ends up tasting like toothpaste. No one wants to eat something that tastes like a mouthful of toothpaste. Ew.. It only takes 1/4 of a teaspoon to get the right amount of mint flavor that is needed to not overpower your taste buds; and adding a bunch of white chocolate to it makes it a sweet treat.
Products I recommend
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. My absolute favorite is the BlueQ oven mitts. I have a collection of them and I love them! They are great quality and it’s nice to have a kitchen item with a sense of humor.
peppermint cake with white chocolate buttercream
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup white chocolate melted
- 12 oz white chocolate melted
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1-3 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans. melt the white chocolate in a microwavable safe bowl for 15 second increments until smooth and then set aside. in a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix together. in a small bowl combine the eggs, oil, vanilla and mint extracts, and the buttermilk and whisk together. pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until incorporated. add in the melted white chocolate. divide evenly among the cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the pans to continue cooling. wrap in cling wrap until ready to use.
- melt the white chocolate in a microwavable safe bowl for 15 second increments until smooth. place the butter and white chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip until doubled in size, about 5 minutes. add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and continue whipping until well combined and light and fluffy.