*disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. to learn more, please go here.
this pumpkin isn’t no ordinary pumpkin. it’s a pumpkin mousse dessert! a chocolate pumpkin that’s filled with a creamy deliciousness that will have you replacing the old basic pumpkin pie this year.
this pumpkin chocolate shell is filled with a creamy pumpkin mousse with little drops of chocolate ganache and sweetened cream cheese. this dessert is pure heaven in every way for a family event this fall.
pumpkin mousse dessert
start by taking the orange candy melts and melting it. fill the pumpkin part of the mold and let it sit for about a minute. invert the molds to let the chocolate fall out to create the chocolate shell. scrape down the sides to create that even edge. take the brown chocolate and melt that and fill in the stem part of the pumpkin. i found it easier to have that as a solid part and not inverting the mold to let the chocolate drip out. let the chocolate set. i find it easier to put it into the freezer to pop the chocolate shells out.
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp gelatin
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup heavy cream
bloom the gelatin in the 1 tbsp of water and set aside. in a bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. meanwhile, bring the milk, vanilla and salt to a simmer. once hot, slowly temper into the yolk mixture. do this by pouring a little amount of the hot milk into the yolks and whisking together. keep doing this until all of the milk is added to the yolks. place the mixture over a double boiler and heat until it reaches 140 degrees F. and then stir in the bloomed gelatin. place the mixture into a bowl and wrap with cling wrap and put in the fridge overnight, or until firm.
whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. add in the firm and chilled pumpkin mixture and whip until fully incorporated. place into the fridge until ready to use.
i used little bits of chocolate ganache and cream cheese, but you can do whatever you like! here’s a list of some ideas to get you started!
- chocolate chips
- gingersnap cookie pieces
- cinnamon chips
- start by taking both parts of the chocolate shell and add in a thin layer of the pumpkin mousse. sprinkle in some of the fillings you have chosen and continue to layer each component.
- don’t overfill the chocolate shells, you want to be able to seal it without having any of the mousse exploding out of the sides.
- melt a little of the orange candy melts that you have leftover and pipe a thin line along the edges of the chocolate shell. carefully take both parts and carefully put them together to get the 3D pumpkin.
- use a little bit of green fondant to create the vines and leaves for the pumpkin and glue on with a little more of the orange chocolate.
- keep refrigerated until ready to serve.