This haunted castle cake featuring Scooby Doo and Shaggy is not only easy to make, but is an instant cake that any child or adult will fall in love with. With just a few tools and simple steps, you can create this cake at home too!
I had so much fun making this Scooby Doo haunted castle cake! My sister requested a birthday cake a few weeks back wanting it to be Scooby Doo themed. Like always, I have to research Pinterest for ideas, which usually ends up being combining 2 or even 3 different cake ideas into one. And then this haunted castle cake came about. Something easy, simple and not difficult to make at all. Just a few simple tools and pieces of equipment that are easy to find at your local craft store.
What You Will Need
- Cake: 3, 6-inch cake layers of your choice of flavor.
- Buttercream: 1 large batch of simple butter cream in a dark purple color.
- Black candy melts
- White candy melts
- Yellow jimmy sprinkles
- Floral wire
- Edible images of Scooby and Shaggy (optional).
How to Make This Haunted Castle Cake
Making this cake is really only a few simple steps that requires using candy melts! It’s easy, straightforward, and customizable too! All you need is a few tools and some wax paper to get your chocolate decorations just right!
How To Make The Moon & Haunted Castle
- Melt the white candy melts and create a large round, about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Melt the black candy melts and free hand a castle.
- Add some yellow jimmy sprinkles to the castle for the lights.
- When dry, flip over and place the large lollipop stick to the back of the chocolate moon and glue it with more chocolate.
How To Make The Ghosts
- Place a small dime size of melted white candy melts on some wax paper.
- Take a small offset spatula and place on the chocolate and drag down.
- Take a small piping bag of black candy melts and pipe a ghost face.
- Glue the floral wire to the back of the ghost.
Tips & Tricks
- Take the black candy melts and free hand some spooky trees to help bring the cake together even more! You can even add in some classic Scooby Doo spooky eyes to the side of the cake too.
- On the chocolate “moon”, you can take a small paint brush and some black food color and paint on some bats for an added effect and to make the castle pop!
- If you don’t have a way to get any edible images of Scooby Doo and Shaggy, then you can completely omit it. The cake will still look absolutely amazing either way! Or you can pipe it out using candy melts and a printed image as a stencil to place on the side of the cake instead!
Other Recipes You May Like
Have you made this recipe? Follow me on Instagram and tag me in your photos so I can see your masterpiece! @sugarbyalyx
Want to see more recipes? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when a new recipe is posted!
Scooby Doo Haunted Castle Cake
- wax paper
- Floral wire
- Large lollipop stick
- piping bags
- Yellow jimmy sprinkles
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 1/2 cup black candy melts
- 1 cake 3, 6-inch layers
- 1 batch buttercream colored dark purple
- Frost your choice of cake with the dark purple buttercream. Let chill until the buttercream has set.
Chocolate Moon & Haunted Castle
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter. Melt the white candy melts in a piping bag, in 15 second intervals, until melted. Pipe out a large round, about 4-5 inches in diameter. Let set.
- Melt the black candy melts in a piping bag and free hand a castle on top of the chocolate "moon". Before the chocolate starts to set, place the yellow jimmy sprinkles to resemble the windows of the castle. Let set.
- Take the large lollipop stick or skewer and glue it to the back of the chocolate "moon". Let set.
- For the chocolate ghosts, pipe dime size rounds of the white candy melts on wax paper. Take a small offset spatula or a butter knife and gently place on top of the chocolate and drag down. Let set.
- Take the black candy melts and pipe on the faces of the ghosts. Let set.
- Using the floral wire, gently flip the chocolate ghosts over and glue the floral wire to the back of them using a little more white candy melts. Let set.
- To assemble, carefully place the lollipop stick with the chocolate "moon" into the cake.
- Carefully take the chocolate ghosts on the floral wire and place randomly on the cake.
- If you have edible images of Scooby and Shaggy, then carefully brush the back of the image with some corn syrup and place on the cake.