Enjoy these smoked pumpkin cupcakes that come with a fun and savory twist. Fluffy pumpkin cupcakes with a lovely smoky flavor from the smoked brown sugar.
It’s fall, so of course everything has to be pumpkin related. I have quite a few recipes that I will be posting that feature pumpkin! And these cupcakes of course being one of those recipes. It is a smoked pumpkin cupcake made with smoked brown sugar and buttercream frosting. The smoked brown sugar gives it a savory yet subtle flavor to the cupcakes with the added sweetness of the buttercream makes it a perfect match.
What you will need
- Smoked brown sugar – This is a vital ingredient for making these cupcakes. It gives the cupcakes that smoky flavor. You can get this on Amazon.
- Pumpkin puree – I used Libby’s pumpkin puree that I bought at my local grocery store.
- Spices – This recipe only calls for nutmeg to help enhance the smoky flavor.
How to make these smoked pumpkin cupcakes
1-2. Place the dry ingredients and sugars into a large bowl and mix together with a whisk.
3-4. Put all of the wet ingredients into another bowl and mix to combine.
5-6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
7. Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter among a cupcake tin.
These smoked pumpkin cupcakes might not be a hit for everyone as the smoky flavor can be a bit strong if you use too much. And that’s completely understandable that not everyone will like their desserts with a smoky flavor to it. You can always replace the smoked brown sugar with regular brown sugar. There’s no harm in trying to make it more child friendly and getting rid of the smoky flavor altogether. But if you are the type to try something new and different, than I highly suggest giving these a try.
Other recipes to try!
Have you made this recipe? Follow me on Instagram and tag me in your photos so I can see your masterpiece! @sugarbyalyx
Want to see more recipes? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when a new recipe is posted!
smoked pumpkin cupcakes
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp smoked brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick + 6 tbsp butter
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp heavy cream
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. place cupcake liners into the pan. in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, smoked brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. scrape down the sides of the bowl. add the pumpkin, eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated. add in the baking soda, nutmeg, salt and flour and mix on low, gradually adding in the milk at the same time until the batter is smooth and all the ingredients are fully mixed together. divide the batter among the cupcake pans and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes, remove from the pans to continue cooling.
- put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. start slow and then gradually increase the speed. whip on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.