chocolate blood orange cupcakes with white chocolate raspberry ganache
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
These spank me cupcakes are filled with a pop of intense flavor. Chocolate, blood orange, raspberry. It’s a party in your mouth. Plus that name though! The name was inspired by the sprinkles. My mom signed me up for a sprinkle subscription box with Fancy Sprinkles, so every month I get a box of 3 new bottles of sprinkles and they each come with a unique name. This particular bottle was called “spank me”, so of course it sounded super naughty and thought it would be a good fit for a valentine’s day cupcake.
Change it up!
Instead of making these spank me cupcakes with blood orange, which can be hard to find, just replace it with the juice of a regular orange. Blood orange is a winter fruit, and not all grocery stores will have it, so it can be pretty hard to find.
Instead of doing raspberry in the ganache, you can easily do strawberry or even blueberry if you want. Or you can just keep it as a simple white chocolate ganache. It really doesn’t matter what you do, it’s really just there to add some more flavor and make it a lot more fun.
Products I recommend for making this dessert.
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. My absolute favorite is the BlueQ oven mitts. I have a collection of them and I love them! They are great quality and it’s nice to have a kitchen item with a sense of humor.
spank me cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 1 tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3/4 cup white chocolate
- 3 sticks salted butter
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp heavy cream
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pans with liners. in a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix until incorporated. in another bowl, combine the oil, eggs, blood orange juice and zest, vanilla, and buttermilk and whisk together. pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined. scoop the batter in the cupcake pan and bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let the cake cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- combine the heavy cream and raspberries in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute. stir and mash the raspberries then strain through a fine-mesh sieve. add in the white chocolate and microwave for another 30 seconds until the chocolate has melted. let chill until cool.
- put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. start slow and then gradually increase the speed. whip on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.