*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
This strawberry vanilla black pepper cake that I will feature for Sugar Redefined. It’s super fun, cute, and very pink! Fruity with a bite of fresh strawberry, a little kick with the black pepper, and a hint of sweetness from a lovely white chocolate ganache drip.
I figured I should probably give some more detail on what Sugar Redefined contains. There are all sorts of weird flavors in this book that you probably would never have thought of. Some ingredients include: herbs, odd spices, like curry, fruits, veggies, and even spirits because who doesn’t like a little extra in their cake? These ingredients are paired with the best side kicks to make the oddness stick out more but also blend in. I wouldn’t purposely make a cake be beyond disgusting and inedible. So when you see curry, don’t worry, it’s with something that makes it so good that it will become your new favorite cake.
If you missed the lime and pink pepper corn cake feature of my new and very first book Sugar Redefined go check it out! Otherwise here is the strawberry vanilla black pepper cake that is also in the book!
always have that creative spark; find your inspiration and make it into something great
Products I recommend.
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. One of my favorite things that I have many of are the BlueQ oven mitts. They aren’t just really funny and a great statement piece for your kitchen, but they are great quality too!
strawberry vanilla black pepper cake
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 vanilla beans scraped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup strawberries cut and diced
- 6 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4-1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 2 oz white chocolate
- 1 tbsp dried strawberries pulverized
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans. in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. scrape the sides of the bowl, add the eggs, vanilla bean, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and black pepper. add the dry mixture and the buttermilk alternating starting and ending with the dry in three parts. divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes then carefully remove from the pans and continue cooling. (suggested to use a sheet pan with raised edges as this cake gets tall and more spill over the edges.)
- for the buttercream, place the egg whites and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and place that over a pot of boiling water to create a double boiler. whisk together and let sit until the sugar has fully dissolved. using a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until a meringue forms, about 3 minutes, and then slowly add the butter. let whip until fully incorporated, on high, for about 4 minutes. add the vanilla and black pepper.
- for the ganache, place all the ingredients into a microwaveable bowl and heat in 15 second bursts, stirring, until the chocolate is melted. let cool.
- to assemble, spread some buttercream on the first layer of cake, pipe around the edge of the cake, add the sliced strawberries, pushing them into the buttercream and top with more buttercream. repeat with the second layer of cake. Pour the ganache over the top of the frosted cake and let drip over the sides.