*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
Toasted coconut ice cream. This stuff is so good! I swear I couldn’t stop eating it, it’s so addicting! It’s the perfect ice cream to treat yourself to on a hot day this July; especially on top of a sugar ice cream cone!
To get the natural flavor in this ice cream, I used toasted coconut and steeped it in the ice cream base over night. I figured it would be so much better to do it this way than to use the awful artificial extract that tastes nothing like the real deal. But by steeping the toasted coconut into the base instead, leaving it over night, makes this ice cream a coconut lovers dream! It’s that good guys, you have no idea!
This ice cream reminds me of an almond joy candy bar in a way. The only thing that’s missing is almonds and chocolate. You can easily replicate it to be like an almond joy by just topping the ice cream with some chocolate sauce and some sliced almonds and a touch of toasted coconut on top.
Now I added in some toasted coconut into this creamy cold stuff, but I discovered that that was a mistake to do. It tastes amazing, but adding in too much texture as it did was off putting for me. I’d definitely prefer to sprinkle a little bit on top instead of mixing it in.
Products I recommend
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. I highly suggest the ice cream maker that I listed above. It’s cheaper than others and it does it’s job just like the other’s. It’s also easy to clean and super easy to use!
toasted coconut ice cream
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut toasted
- 15 oz can cream of coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 ` cup milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
- pinch salt
- toast the coconut in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. make sure to check it every 5 minutes and to toss the coconut for even toastiness and to prevent burning. remove from oven when golden brown.
- place the heavy cream, milk, cream of coconut, sugar, salt, vanilla bean, and the toasted coconut into a pot and mix together. put over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. remove from the heat and cover with cling wrap and place the ice cream base into the fridge overnight to cool and to let the flavor increase.
- strain out the toasted coconut using a fine mesh sieve.
- following the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream machine, turn the base for 20-25 minutes. place the ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze overnight to firm up.