This classic vanilla cake with chocolate frosting combo is needed at every birthday party! A perfect vanilla cake that isn’t too sweet and is surrounded with a creamy chocolate buttercream; and of course all the sprinkles you can imagine.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read disclosure to learn more.Jump to Recipe
Who doesn’t love a great classic cake? This vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is the atypical dessert for most birthday parties, as you get a little bit of both worlds. Unless you go for a marble cake, but this cake is better in my opinion.
It’s a soft, moist vanilla cake that isn’t all that sweet in my opinion. Maybe that’s just me and it is a lot sweeter to other people. For me it’s the chocolate frosting that really makes this cake special. It’s filled with all the cocoa that all good chocolate frostings need!
Change it up!
Now I know that a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is just so basic. But that’s why it’s called a classic. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make it fun and make it yours. Add a fun filling, like Oreo’s or add some chocolate candies. Make it a Neapolitan cake and add in some sliced strawberries into the mix! You can’t go wrong a good vanilla, chocolate, strawberry combo.
Make it extra!
If you are making this for someones big birthday celebration, than you should load it up with sprinkles and all the candles. Make it look fabulous! Add in some of those fun sparklers and adorable shaped candles that look like animals!
Make it even more fun and turn it into a pinata cake! Just hollow out the center and fill it with all the goodies. Chocolate, gummy bears, mini cookies. The works! It’s a birthday cake so make it specials.
Other recipes you might like!
Have you made this recipe? Follow me on Instagram and tag me in your photos so I can see your masterpiece! @sugarbyalyx
Want to see more recipes? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when a new recipe is posted!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture into the butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated. with the mixer still running, slowly add in the buttermilk. continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes then carefully remove from the pans and continue cooling.
- put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. start slow and then gradually increase the speed. whip on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.