Jump to Recipe
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please go here.
Merry Christmas everyone! This white chocolate cranberry cake is filled with lots of white chocolate, a hint of nutmeg to give it a little spice, and a tart cranberry buttercream. The combination of flavors makes one drool worthy cake for the holiday.
Change it up!
There are a few ways that you can change up this cake. One thing you could do is that instead of adding the cooked cranberries into the buttercream, you could use it as a filling instead. Just keep the buttercream a plain vanilla and make a small dam when stacking the cake and fill it up with the cooked cranberries.
Or you can make whatever filling or buttercream you want! It’s a simple white chocolate cake. No need to add in the nutmeg, that’s optional. Just make your favorite buttercream and even add in a fun fruit filling! Anything really goes with white chocolate so the possibilities are endless.
Other white chocolate desserts.
Products I recommend.
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. My absolute favorite is the BlueQ oven mitts. I have a collection of them and I love them! They are great quality and it’s nice to have a kitchen item with a sense of humor.
white chocolate cake with cranberry buttercream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup white chocolate melted
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 oz egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. spray and line three 6-inch cake pans. in a small microwavable bowl, melt the white chocolate in 15 second bursts and set aside. in a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg and mix together. in another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla, milk and orange zest. add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together until fully combined. add in the white chocolate and mix until incorporated. divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the cake pans to continue cooling. wrap in cling wrap until ready to use.
- in a small pot, combine the cranberries, sugar and water and bring to a small boil. cook until the cranberries are soft and the mixture starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. remove from the heat and let cool. once cool put the mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth. if there are some small chunks then don’t worry about it.
- in the bowl of an electric mixer combine the egg whites and the sugar and place over a pot of boiling water. whisk together until the sugar dissolves. once the sugar is dissolved, place on the mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip on high until a meringue forms and the bottom of the bowl is no longer hot. slowly add in the butter and continue whipping until the mixture comes together and doesn’t look curdled. add in the vanilla and cranberries and mix until just combined.
- place both ingredients in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 30-45 seconds. mix together until it comes together. spoon on top of the chilled cake to form a drip down the sides of the cake.