*This post contains affiliate links. Please read disclosure to learn more.
Somehow I seem to just find an idea pop right into my head at a random time. That’s what happened with these white chocolate cut out cookies. I had gotten the idea to do something with unicorns from this cute print I found. These adorable unicorn designs on Pinterest by Heather Ross. Super cute right?
Usually I come up with the design before the flavor of one of my creations. It can be a little hard coming up with a flavor profile, so sometimes I take inspiration from the design itself. Colors or the character that is in the design can bring a lot of inspiration. When I think of unicorns, I think of sugar and sparkles. What’s more sweet than white chocolate?
Making a cut out cookie with white chocolate was interesting. I wanted it to taste just like white chocolate but I also didn’t want them to turn into a hard rock. The recipe did turn out just right and tasty, although the end result is a little crinkly so it resembles more of a classic sugar cookie. I think that with these cookies you could easily just do a drop cookie right when the batter is made; even roll the cookie in some sugar too. If you want to make them into shapes, just wrap the dough and chill it for about an hour in the fridge before rolling.
Make it fun!
I decorated these cookies with a simple buttercream (salt added to cut the sweetness) and topped it with a thin piece of fondant. If you like the idea of decorating them the same way but hate fondant, i’d suggest trying modeling chocolate instead. You can either buy modeling chocolate or use candy melts and make your own. It’s super easy to find a recipe for it too!
To decorate the cookies I used my projector to paint the unicorns on them. They turned out scrumptiously cute and taste like sugar cookies to me but with a hint of white chocolate. Soft on the inside and the edges have a slight crunch to it from the white chocolate getting caramelized in the oven.
Products I recommend.
Above are some products that I personally use and recommend for this recipe and to have for everyday use. My absolute favorite is the BlueQ oven mitts. I have a collection of them and I love them! They are great quality and it’s nice to have a kitchen item with a sense of humor.
white chocolate cookies
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 12 oz white chocolate melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- melt the white chocolate in the microwave for 15 second bursts, stirring each time in between. in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, white chocolate, and sugar until smooth. scrape the sides of the bowl. add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. add in the salt, baking powder, and the flour gradually until fully mixed. divide the dough in half and wrap in cling wrap. chill for at least an hour.
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. dust your counter and rolling pin with flour or powdered sugar. roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. place onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. let cool.
- you can eat as is or decorate with some simple buttercream!